Owner, Personal Trainer, Health Coach
Julia’s journey in health and fitness began at the age of 5 with the start of a 13 year gymnastics career, which unfortunately ended with three ankle surgeries. This upending change of lifestyle left her to figure out how to stay in shape, now that she wasn’t in the gym 24 hours a week and was limited in some activities she could do. She was eager to help others live a happy healthy lifestyle no matter what barriers they may have. She moved from her home state of Vermont in 2001 and began Personal Training. Julia, immediately new that personal training and fitness was her true passion and calling in life. By 2003 she had earned her degree in Exercise Science from Virginia Commonwealth University, was already certified as a Personal Trainer and as certified Fitness Nutrition Coach.
Julia, with her “evil smile,” puts clients through tough, but successful workouts. She possesses a passion to help people, which shines through in her excitement and enthusiasm as she trains her clients or teaches group fitness classes. Among the many people’s lives she has touched; she developed and facilitated teen and adult weight management programs, provided out-patient and in-patient physical therapy, trained the weekend warrior to pro level athletes, and children to adults. Julia trained players for and during the football combines and provided off-ice training to the Richmond Renegades. In addition to being the Personal Training director for 2 local gyms, Julia was the strength and conditioning director for a local triathlon company and worked for Virginia Commonwealth University as Fitness Programs Assistant educating the Fitness Trainers, providing feedback to enhance and improve organizational efficiency and developing and initiating health-fitness evaluation protocols.
Julia worked for many companies that didn’t allow her to provide an all encompassing service that she knew her clients needed to be successful long term. FIT Richmond was started by Julia Bardrof with a simple desire to help people make permanent lifestyle changes, taking a holistic approach and providing a motivating environment. In December 2009 Julia took the leap of faith and followed her true passion by starting FIT Richmond, using her personal, educational, and professional experiences. She literally started from the ground up, training clients in her garage and backyard with very little equipment for the first 5 months until she could earn enough to get a small studio in Historic Manchester. Less than 2 years in Manchester, FIT Richmond has now moved to a 2300 square foot, fully equipped, newly renovated FIT Training Center across from Willow Lawn.
Since 2009, Julia has built FIT Richmond to be the premier Personal Training and Group Fitness Company for the Richmond area. She now has 7 Personal Trainers who work for her, all of which have college degrees in Exercise Science related fields and have nationally recognized certifications in Personal Training and other Group Fitness certifications. They make up an incredibly professional, knowledgeable, and passionate team. FIT Richmond provides Personal Training and Group fitness classes for all populations from teens to seniors; from brand new to fitness to professional athletes. They train in the FIT Training Facility as well as in client’s homes and businesses. Julia has provided Richmond Road Runners and Sports Backers with Core/Strength Training clinics for their Advanced 10k and Marathon Training Teams for the past several years. She and her team also work with several businesses like Dominion Virginia Power to provide weekly FIT workouts and nutrition clinics for their employees.
- Bachelor of Science in Exercise Science – VCU
- American Association for Health Education- Student of the Year
- Phi Kappa Phi- High Honors Scholarship Award
- ACSM- Certified Personal Trainer
- NESTA- Certified Fitness Nutrition Coach
- American Red Cross- First Aid, CPR, AED Certified
- Weight loss- Julia will help you learn to build exercise and healthy eating into your everyday life. She will motivate you, hold you accountable, and teach you the skills you need to be successful!
- Sports Specific Training- Julia has trained many athletes from recreational to pro level in many different sports. Running, cycling, triathlon, gymnastics, football, hockey, volleyball, golf, martial arts, etc. Being an elite level gymnast herself and her knowledge of periodization and training allows her to safely take athletes to their own personal “next level.”
- Pregnancy- Julia works with you and your doctor to help you prepare for pregnancy, be healthy throughout your pregnancy, and help you shed the weight after pregnancy. She will happily continue to help you keep this healthy lifestyle going now that, baby is here!